10 REASONS WHY WE NEED YOUR VOTE FOR A FAIR, WORKABLE COPYRIGHT FOR THE FUTURE OF EUROPE’S INDEPENDENT PRESS
- Two years-worth of democratic debate and scrutiny have resulted in a fair compromise for both content creators on the one hand, and platforms on the other;
- Important exceptions have been written into the text to ensure that:
-the link is safe and readers can continue to share links as they did before
-Wikipedia is out of scope
-Memes and Gifs can be used
-there will be no censorship of the internet
- Very short extracts can be displayed, including commercially;
- News publishers, who carry the commercial risk and legal liability, will be able to monetise better their own content and therefore be incentivised to invest further in professional journalism;
- Publishers of all sizes from the smallest to the largest will benefit from the Publisher’s Right;
- Journalists will benefit directly from the Publisher’s Right;
- Publishers will have the right to set terms and conditions for others to re-use their content commercially, as is only fair and appropriate;
- This text provides legal certainty for all users: consumers, platforms and creators, including publishers;
- A new complaints mechanism will deal with the unlawful blocking of uploaded content
- The stakes are extremely high: your vote is essential for the future of the entire content-creating sector and, most crucially, for the future of a healthy, democracy-enhancing, diverse, professional and independent press.
There is no more time for amendments: if you want to support creators and publishers in Europe you have to act now!
Please click here for further information
We hope that this information and insight will make a valuable contribution to the political debate on our sector, and that, If you are committed to a democratic Europe with a strong media landscape, you will feel inspired to get involved with our initiative, www.empower-democracy.eu.