Distinguished trilogue negotiators,
We, the undersigned organisations representing authors, performers, and others working in all artistic fields, news agencies, book, press and independent music publishers urge you to work constructively to improve and to adopt the Copyright Directive in the Digital Single Market at this week’s trilogue meetings.
The current mandate from COREPER on Friday is a crucial step towards the Directive’s adoption, even though further improvements are needed to make the text truly meaningful for the cultural and creative sectors. This Directive has been long sought to create a necessary level playing field for all creative sectors in the European Digital Single Market, whilst giving consumers better access to more content in a secure environment.
Without the Directive, creators will be left with no guarantee of obtaining a fair remuneration online and our sectors will be subject to great legal uncertainty regarding future practices. Failing to adopt the Directive would mean missing a historic opportunity, be extremely detrimental to European culture, and also represent a fundamental failure for European policymaking.
The time has come to make the final effort to improve the text and reach an agreement at the trilogue. It is time to show that the European Union cares for its citizens, creators, values and cultural diversity and can stand up to protect them.
We trust that your thoughtful political judgment and sense of fairness will prevail to bring this legislative process to a successful conclusion.
• AEPO-ARTIS – Association of European Performers’ Organisations
• CISAC – International Confederation of Societies of Authors and Composers
• CIAGP – International Council of Creators of Graphic, Plastic and Photographic Arts
• CEPIC – Centre of the Picture Industry
• CIAM – International Council of Music Authors
• EANA – European Alliance of News Agencies
• ECSA – European Composer and Songwriter Alliance
• EFJ – European Federation of Journalists
• EPC – European Publishers Council
• EVA – European Visual Artists
• EMMA – European Magazine Media Association
• ENPA – European Newspaper Publishers Association
• EWC – European Writers Council
• FERA – Federation of European Film Directors
• FIA – International Federation of Actors
• FIM – International Federation of Musicians
• FSE – Federation of Screenwriters in Europe
• FEP – Federation of European Publishers
• GESAC – European Grouping of Societies of Authors and Composers
• IAO – International Artist Organisation of Music
• IFRRO – International Federation of Reproduction Rights Organisations
• IMAGO – European Federation of Cinematographers
• IMPF – Independent Music Publishers International Forum
• NMC – News Media Coalition
• NME – News Media Europe
• SAA – Society of Audiovisual Authors
• UNI-MEI – Global Union in the Media, Entertainment and Arts
• WDW – Writers and Directors Worldwide
For further information:
GESAC – firstname.lastname@example.org / +32.2.511.44.54 / +184.108.40.206.26.01